Sunday, December 18, 2011

Reason of starting this blog

Before I ordered Makerbot TOM, I've done some research and found out some other printer like Reprap, Rapman, 3D touch and Up! printer. Basically they're all base on the open source Repap 3D printer just that somebody did some modification on the structure design. I choose Makerbot because I feel their support is better and it looks much easier for non engineer person to build it.



When the time I open this blog I've finally get my first successful printed 3D model from my Makerbot TOM Stepstruder Mk7.

I feel that there might be a good idea to just record down the documents or solutions of those problem that I encountered, I don't want to lost it again.



The spec of the machine I bought:

* The lasercut parts to assemble a Thing-O-Matic® CNC machine.
* Makerbot StepStruder® MK7 Complete (standard with 0.4mm nozzle)
* MakerBot® Automated Build Platform v.2.0
* 3 x NEMA 17 motors
* 1 High Torque NEMA 17
* The hardware to assemble it.
* Belts and pulleys
* Smooth Rods and Drive system components
* Pre-assembled 4th Generation Electronics
* a USB cable to talk to it
* cat5e and rainbow cables to wire things up
* a standard ATX power supply, 115V/230V switchable.
* a tools kit with all the hex keys, wrenches, and other bits you need to construct it.
* SD card to buffer your prints
* 1lb of 1.75 mm MakerBot ABS Plastic to print with



Some tech specs on the Thing-O-Matic®:

* Interface: Print through USB or print from SD card
* Size: 300 x 300 x 410 mm (12″ W x 12″ D x 16″ H)
* Build Area: 96 x 108 mm
* Build Height: 115 mm
* Generation 4 Electronics
* Supports up to 5 stepper drivers (XYZ + A/B)
* Connect over USB (no more FTDI cable)
* Optional LCD interface support (Not included)
* Full mechanical endstop support
* High current mosfets to drive heated build platform and extruder heater
* Thermocouple support for more accurate temperature sensing
* Upgraded, extra strength ATX power supply
* Works with both 110v and 220v power
* Theoretical XY Positioning resolution of 0.02mm (20 microns or 0.0008″)
* Theoretical XY Maximum Feedrate of up to 5000mm/minute (roughly 200 IPM)
* Theoretical Z Positioning resolution of 0.005mm (5 microns / or 0.0002″)
* Theoretical Z Positioning Feedrate of up to 1000mm/minutes (roughly 40 IPM)
* Capable of printing with ABS and PLA

No comments:

Post a Comment